Ajegunle belongs to Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government Area as known today was one of the three councils under Badagry Division since the issuance in 1986 of the administrative Divisions (establishment) Edict which broke Lagos state to five administrations: Lagos Island, Badagry, Epe, Ikorodu and Ikeja.
The two other districts in Badagry Division are: Egun-Awori and Awori district. With the subsequent enactment of Local Government Edict of 1976 by the state government, the former three District Councils: Egun-Awori, Ajeromi-Ifelodun and Awori districts were merged together and brought under one umbrella-Badagry Local Government . These three district councils constituted what was then known as Badagry Local Government with Badagry being the administrative headquarter.

The boundary stretched East wards from Apapa in Lagos to Seme border in the West. It’s bordered in the South by the Atlantic Ocean and in the North by Ogun state, Ikeja and Surulere Local Government respectively. The total number of local government in Lagos at the time was eight. With the emergence of civil administration in October, 1979, the then Governor of Lagos State, Lateef Jakande further split the local government in Lagos to twenty-three. Badagry Local Government was consequently divided into three autonomous councils namely: Ojo (former Awori district, Ajeromi-Ifelodun and Badagry.

However, the structure was short-lived following the Military Coup led by General Mohamadu Buhari and Tunde Idiagbon that ended the civilian regime in 1983. The consequent was the nullifying of all the local government councils created by the civilian government between October 1979 and December 1983. As a result of that restructuring, the Lagos state government, under the then governor of the state, late Vice Admiral Mike Akhigbe, who was at the time a Commodore, reverted to eight local governments created during the 1976 local government reforms.

Realizing that the defunct civilian administration between (1976-1983) could not accomplish the aims and objectives of the 1976 Local Government Reform, the then Chief of Staff Supreme Headquarters, Late Major General Tunde Idiagbon set up a 20-man committee headed by Alhaji Dasuki to among other things, reexamine the existing structure, functions and financial resources of Local Government administration in the country.

The Dasuki led committee in its report, noted that system of local government in the country under the 1976 reforms had more of operational than structural problems on creation of new local government. The committee then recommends that, if new local governments were to be created at all, it should not be less than ten years interval. The implementation of the Dasuki’s Commission recommendation in Lagos started 1989 and 1996 when, among the new local government created, Ojo was carved out of Badagry Local Government (1989) and later (1996) Amuwo-Odofin and later Ojeromi-Ifelodun Local Government were created out of Ojo Local Government, bringing the total number of Local Government in Lagos to twenty; excluding the controversial Local Government Development Authority created by the Bola Tinubu led government in the state.

Ajeromi-Ifelodun Local Government currently covers about 2,216 hectares of land with 97% development area leaving 3% comprising gutters, canals and swamps. The Local government is geographically 11 ft below the sea level and virtually half of total landscape is reclamation of swamp and mash. Its dense population comprises of diverse populated settlements, towns and communities made up of people of diverse ethnic origins/nationalities and cultures.
Ajeromi-Ifelodun local government is made up of Nine Political Wards, each represented by a councilor. The local government area is essential residential and is best described as a semi-urban community with overtly retail economic.



I love life, love God and am a collector of rare items like the ash of a phoenix, egg of a unicorn, tears of an Angel and I drink pap with chopsticks.
Creativity found me, though I wasn't lost and am still paying the price of a chosen one.
It has always been the nature of man to confuse genius with insanity.

View all posts

Say Something

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Add comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Join Us On Twitter


Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,917 other subscribers

%d bloggers like this: